Charlotte, N.C. - Gardner-Webb women's tennis won four out of six singles matches Monday at Charlotte, taking a 4-3 road win over the Atlantic 10 foe.
The Runnin' Bulldogs improve to 12-8 (3-4) with the win.
The 49ers (13-3, 2-1) jumped on top 1-0 in doubles with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. GWU's freshmen duo won at No. 2, as Alice Hopkins and Yasmin Doost teamed up for the 8-3 win over Charlotte's Natsuko Takayanagi/Dominica Nemec.
Doost (Bray, England) stepped up again in singles play, solidifying the No. 5 position for GWU with a 6-4, 6-1 win over the 49ers' Iveta Guneva to get the Runnin' Bulldogs on the board.
After Charlotte took the point at No. 1 singles, Gardner-Webb got wins at No.'s 3 and 4 singles from Ioana Oprea and Jenny Lunde respectively. Lunde (Hoevik, Norway) fought back after dropping a lopsided first set, battling for a 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 win against Anna Ekelund at No. 4.
Oprea (Bucharest, Romania) outlasted Charlotte's Lisa Grosselius 6-0, 1-6, 6-4 at the No. 3 spot to give the Runnin' Bulldogs a key win.
At No. 2 singles, Hopkins (Birmingham, England) rose to the challenge, grinding out a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 win over Takayanagi to earn the win for GWU.
In defeating Charlotte on the road on Monday, Gardner-Webb was able to knock off a team previously undefeated on their home court.
Monday's win over Charlotte propels Gardner-Webb into its final match of the regular season. The Runnin' Bulldogs take on UNC Asheville on the road at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
Match Results: Gardner-Webb 4 - Charlotte 3
1. Anna Ekelund/Lisa Grosselius (CHA) def. Ioana Oprea/Jenny Lunde (GWU) 8-6
2. Alice Hopkins/Yasmin Doost (GWU) def. Natsuko Takayanagi/Dominica Nemec (CHA) 8-3
3. Emmanuelle Briant/Andrea Rivera (CHA) def. Erica White/Ronia Hutterli (GWU) 4-3, retired
1. Adrea Rivera (CHA) def. Erica White (GWU) 5-2, retired
2. Alice Hopkins (GWU) def. Natsuko Takayanagi (CHA) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
3. Ioana Oprea (GWU) def. Lisa Grosselius (CHA) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
4. Jenny Lunde (GWU) def. Anna Ekelund (CHA) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Yasmin Doost (GWU) def. Iveta Guneva (CHA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Emmanuelle Briant (CHA) def. Tavenner Black (GWU) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-3