SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Gardner-Webb picked up a pair of singles wins Tuesday afternoon, but fell to host Wofford by a 5-2 score on the road.
The Terriers took the doubles point with wins of 6-2 and 6-3 at No. 1 and No. 3 to seize momentum early in the afternoon.
Gardner-Webb (0-2) got a hard-fought win at No. 1 singles from sophomore sensation Maximillian Scholl, who outlasted the Terriers' Haris Poric in a lengthy matchup. Scholl won a 7-6 (7-4) first set and took a 6-4 win in the second for his first win this spring.
Freshman standout Ross Gilbert continued an impressive start to his career with the Runnin' Bulldogs – also prevailing in a grueling contest at No. 5 singles. Gilbert dropped the opening set by a 7-5 margin, but rallied for a 6-4 win in the second set. He then outlasted Wofford's Julian Chousa in the third – 1-0 (10-7) – for the win.
Paul Hogan, who fought hard in his opening singles match this season at Davidson, engaged in another tough battle at No. 2 singles on Tuesday. Hogan took a 7-6 (11-9) win in the opening set, but saw the Terriers' Lucas Cerbelli rally in a major way to take a 6-0 win in the second. Cerbelli took the match, but not without at fight from Hogan – with the final set going to Wofford by a 1-0 (10-7) count.
The Runnin' Bulldogs will be back in action this Saturday, February 4, at UNC Wilmington. The match is set for noon in the Port City.
1. Chousa/ Poric (WOF) def. Hogan/Scholl (GWU) 6-2
2. Graham/ Gotkowski (WOF) vs. Plentz/Puga (GWU) 4-4 (unfinished)
3. Thomas/Cerbelli (WOF) def. Gilbert/Fors (GWU) 6-3
1. Scholl (GWU) def. Poric (WOF) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Cerbelli (WOF) def. Hogan (GWU) 6-7 (9-11), 6-0, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Schoen (WOF) def. Schmidt (GWU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Thomas (WOF) def. Plentz (GWU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Gilbert (GWU) def. Chousa (WOF) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Barr (WOF) def. Fors (GWU) 6-4, 6-3