Final Score: VCU 19, Gardner-Webb 7
Location: Boiling Springs, N.C. (Spangler Stadium)
Records: Gardner-Webb 0-4, VCU 2-3
The Short Story: VCU jumped out to an early 10-0 lead before Gardner-Webb got on the board with 9:47 left in the first half to cut the lead down to 10-1. The Rams went on a mini-two goal spurt before the Runnin' Bulldogs answered with a minute left in the half. VCU scored with five seconds left to stretch the lead out to 13-2 before the intermission. Gardner-Webb managed to trim the deficit down to 12, which would be the final margin.
- Amanda Steinmuller scored a team-high three goals on an efficient four shot attempts. She also had two draw controls and a ground ball. She has nine goals on the year and has scored at least two goals every game this season.
- Cassidy McDowell scored two goals for the Runnin' Bulldogs on three shots.
- Maddie Stephens had a career high two goals on two shot attempts and was one for one on free position attempts.
- Katie Sylvester logged career highs in minutes (42) and saves (11).
- Gardner-Webb converted 2-of-4 free position attempts, while VCU were 2-of-9.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs were 13-of-15 on clear attempts, while the Rams were 12-of-14.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU started on a 10-0 run before Steinmuller scored with 9:47 remaining in the first half.
- The Rams scored twice more before McDowell responded with a minute left in the half.
- VCU responded with four consecutive goals before Steinmuller and McDowell each scored their second of the game to trim the lead down to 12 with 19:02 left in the game.
- Gardner-Webb's Stephens answered VCU's mini-two goal spurt with a two-goal run of her own. The two goals by Stephens were the first of her career.
- VCU scored their final goal of the game with 7:37.
- Steinmuller added her third goal of the game with 5:25.
The Runnin' Bulldogs will travel to Kennesaw State on Sunday, March 5 for a 3:00 p.m. contest.