Women's Soccer Rally Falls Short In 2-1 Loss To Davidson Friday Night

Women's Soccer Rally Falls Short In 2-1 Loss To Davidson Friday Night

BOILING SPRINGS – Gardner-Webb women's soccer made a late push, but was defeated Friday night as Davidson held on for a 2-1 win at Greene-Harbison Stadium.

Trailing 2-1 with the clock ticking under a minute, GWU (0-2-1) made a furious attempt to tie the match. Kayla Curatolo's corner kick with 12 seconds left was on the mark and Bri Nagle's rocket from in close with four seconds on the clock was saved by Wildcats' reserve keeper Becca Ravitz.

Eline Glamsland (Lillesand, Norway) cut the lead to 2-1 in the 77th minute with her first career goal, putting home a nice pass from Jessica Ferguson (Lawrence, Kan.) to finish a breakaway situation.

Davidson (1-2-1) opened the scoring in the fifth minute off a corner kick by Perry Zollicoffer that would result in an assist to LG Himes for a quick 1-0 lead.

The Wildcats attempted to widen the lead in the ninth minute when Cameron France attempted a shot that went just wide, and had another shot in the 15th minute as Natalie Connell launched a ball that was saved by Runnin' Bulldogs' keeper Keely Brown (Finneytown, Ohio).

The Runnin' Bulldogs had a chance just three minutes later when Justine Ibarra (Puyallup, Wash.) took a shot that was saved by the Wildcats' keeper Alex Carpenter.

Gardner-Webb would have another chance in the 27th minute when Brandi Arey (Huntersville, N.C.) uncorked a shot that was smothered by Carpenter again.

Gardner-Webb would build the momentum as the half wound down when Curatolo (Clermont, Fla.) attempted the first corner kick of the half that was negated by an offside flag with just three minutes' left in the first half.

Davidson closed down the first half with a shot from Kate Joss that was blocked by the Gardner-Webb defense – going into the locker room with a 1-0 lead.

The 'Dogs would try to regain the momentum to open the second half when Samuelle Grove (Ottawa, Canada) had a chance to score just two minutes into the half as she fired a shot that went just wide.

The two teams traded shots until the Wildcats found the back of the net in the 62nd minute. Mia Hodges was able to convert off an assist from teammate Sabine Chandler for a 2-0 lead.

The Runnin' Bulldogs picked up the pace in the 77th minute when Glamsland scored her first collegiate goal. Ferguson found her sprinting down the field in position for a one-on-one with the Wildcats' keeper.

Davidson responded with four corner kicks over a two-minute span that put pressure on the 'Dogs once more. Shots by Kleppe in the 85th minute followed by the late flurry in the final minute.

Gardner-Webb was paced by Arey with four shots (two on goal), while Glamsland continued her solid early season play. Davidson was led by Natalie Connell with three shots (two on goal), while Himes and Hodges each had a goal for the Wildcats.

The Runnin' Bulldogs will be back in action on Sunday, August 28th in non-conference action – hitting the road against former conference foe and current Atlantic Sun member USC Upstate at 7:00 pm in Spartanburg, S.C.