Gardner-Webb Women Bounce Back With 1-0 Overtime Win At Presbyterian  |  Tim Cowie Photo | Tim Cowie Photo

CLINTON, S.C. – Samuelle Grove's goal in the 109th minute lifted Gardner-Webb to a 1-0 win at Presbyterian Wednesday night in overtime.

Gardner-Webb (4-6-2, 1-1 Big South) got the much needed road win in league play after dominating statistically for much of the match.

"We played good soccer early on. We got some good looks, but just didn't score," said head coach Mike Varga. "Presbyterian kept fighting. We were very fortunate at the end, first to keep them off the board, then fortunate to make a play and get a score to win. We will take the three points on the road and get read for Saturday."

With just more than a minute left in the final overtime period, Grove raced past the Blue Hose defense and finished a one-on-one chance for the victory at the 108:39 mark. It was the sophomore's second goal of the 2016 season.

Senior Brandi Arey's pass to Grove led to the opportunity and marked Arey's second assist of the season.

Gardner-Webb controlled the action Wednesday, getting off an eye-popping 36 shots – with 15 on frame – and using nine corner kicks to keep pressure on Presbyterian. The Runnin' Bulldogs had a 15-4 edge in shots during a scoreless first 45 minutes and, although the Blue Hose were able to increase their scoring chances in the second half and overtime, Gardner-Webb held a 36-17 edge in shooting by the end of the match.

Only five of Presbyterian's 17 shots were on frame.

Both teams had solid chances in the second overtime period. Presbyterian actually started the final period with a flurry, with Frances Whitesides' shot saved by GWU keeper Keely Brown at the 101:47 mark. Ashlynn Powell got off another shot in the 103rd minute, with Brown coming up with another save to preserve the scoreless tie.

Grove had a chance at the 102:54 mark that sailed wide and Powell responded with a shot for the Blue Hose that was blocked by the GWU defense with less than five minutes remaining.

Arey's shot at the 108:02 mark was blocked and freshman Stina Kleppe rallied for a pair of chances at 108:06 and 108:24 before Arey found Grove for the game winner seconds later.

Grove had seven shots in the match, with three – including her game winner – on frame. Arey was very active in the match, credited with 15 shots, and seven shots on goal.

Kleppe (five shots), Justine Ibarra (three shots) and Eline Glamsland (three shots) also helped build Gardner-Webb's offensive stat sheet Wednesday night.

Brown finished with five saves in another shutout performance between the posts.

Powell paced Presbyterian with four shots and keeper Alyssa Leaman kept the Blue Hose in the match by recording 14 saves.

Gardner-Webb has its third of three-straight road matches to open league play next – traveling to face a strong High Point side on Saturday, October 1. Kickoff is set for 4:00 pm in the Triad.