Longwood Advances Past Gardner-Webb Via Shootout (4-2) In Big South Tournament Opener

GWUPhotos.com  |  Tim Cowie Photo
GWUPhotos.com | Tim Cowie Photo

BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. – After 110 minutes of scoreless soccer, No. 5 seed Longwood came through to take the shootout, 4-2, to advance to the Big South Conference quarterfinals over No. 4 seed Gardner-Webb.

"Im proud of how we played tonight. I thought we battled for the full 110 minutes and had some good looks at goal. I couldn't be more proud of the seniors and what they've meant to this program. It's hard to reflect right after a loss but I think when they look back they'll see that they really helped this program grow. We will continue to grow and keep getting better."

The Lancers (9-9-1) got the first attempt, and Janese Quick put it home in the bottom left corner to gain momentum. Longwood keeper Maria Kirby dove to save Gardner-Webb's first attempt and teammate Christina Corbin put the Lancers up 2-0 when she put her shot straight down the middle.

Kirby made another save to give Longwood a cushion, but GWU's Bailey Hierholzer connected to trim the Lancers' shootout edge to 3-1 and Keely Brown made a save, going to the ground to stop Longwood's next shot to keep the 'Dogs alive.

Braddick Price put her shot in the upper left corner to cut the lead to 3-2 the shootout, but Jayden Metzger sealed the match when she put her shot into the lower left corner for the win.

Gardner-Webb finishes the season at 9-8-3.

The Lancers (8-9-2) saw opportunity arise eight minutes into the match as Spencer found Emilie Kupsov sprinting down the middle of the field. Kupsov continued off the pass as she weaved her way around the defense before firing a shot that missed just wide right.

Defense was key, as both teams fired a combined 17 shots with seven of those being on frame. The defensive units held strong and did not allow a goal to keep the game scoreless going into half.

Longwood tried to gain the momentum coming out of half time, as Janese Quick fired a shot from 25-yards out that forced the keeper to make a save three minutes into the second half.

Brandi Arey had a chance with ten minutes left in the second half, as she found herself one-on-one with the keeper. Arey fired two shots on net that were saved.

Both teams had opportunities with less than a minute left. Longwood had the first opportunity as Amanda Hodges had a shot off the outer part of her right foot that forced Brown to make the save.

Arey had a chance with nine seconds left in the match, as she fired a shot that was blocked by the Lancer defense to send the game into overtime.

Defense remained key, as neither team could find the back of the net and kept the scoreless to send the match into a second overtime.

The Lancers had a chance at the 1:00 mark left in overtime, as Kupsov sent a shot that went directly into Brown's arms for the save.

The Runnin' Bulldogs had a corner kick with nine seconds left, but couldn't get it off in time. The missed opportunity sent the match into a shootout.

Gardner-Webb was led by Arey with seven shots (four on goal), while Longwood was led by Metgzer, who had the game winner in the penalty shootout. Kupsov finished with six shots (four on goal) for the Lancers.